Sunday, November 20, 2011

give thanks..



For the month of November, I have been posting things on Facebook that I am thankful for.  I think it is a wonderful idea for us to take a minute, look around and realize how blessed we are.  So, I decided to carry this idea over to my blog as I know that too often life gets busy and I forget to take time to appreciate all the blessings in my life.

Today I am thankful for my faith.  I did not grow up a religious person.  I wasn't baptized until I was much older - I was seven I think.  I went to church for a few years after that but then had a bad experience and we never really went back unless it was a holiday.  I attended a religious college but only went to Chapel a handful of times.  It really wasn't until I graduated college and struggled to find my place in the world that I finally decided to give church another chance.  Then I met J.  He inspired me to want to know more and experience more with God as a priority in my life.  So, as my relationship with J grew, I found my faith growing as well.

After we were married, we found a church that we both loved and we joined a life group (a group from our church that we "do life" together with). 

Over the next few years, I found myself clinging to my growing  faith as we struggled with infertility.  When we lost the girls, I had the choice to blame God or to turn to Him for strength.  I chose to turn to Him.  Yes, I was angry.  There were many times that  I yelled at Him, but in the end, I feel like my faith is one of the main reasons I survived that first year so well.  I clung to Bible verses and encouraging devotions and prayed like crazy for God to give me the strength to get through the day.

Now, I look down at this beautiful baby boy curled up on my chest and I praise God. I praise Him for giving me HOPE, I praise Him for the strength He gave me to get through some seriously tough times, and I praise Him for never leaving my side even when I yelled really loud.   

Faith is such a priority in my life now that I can honestly say I don't know who I would be without it.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.


2 comments:

  1. Your post brought tears to my eyes...how true that faith is the one thing that we must always cling to...and def the thing that each got us through the loss of our beautiful twin daughters. Much to be thankful for indeed this Thanksgiving season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such an incredible testimony. May God continue to grow your faith. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete