June 19, 2009- We heard that a pretty bad storm was coming. We thought it might be good to roll up our carpets in the basement, put the furniture up and make sure everything was off the floor --just in case. I am so glad that we did! The great storm rolled in and dumped somewhere between 7-9 inches of rain on our little town. Our basement held out for a while, but then suddenly, it gave up its fight and it was covered in water. So, here we are again- heading into the dreaded 23rd week of pregnancy and reliving this horrible moment from last summer that started everything. I was a mess. It was like I had stepped back in time- even the air felt like it did last year. J did a fabulous job of keeping me calm and reminding me that the only important thing in this situation was the baby boy that was kicking in my belly. By the end of the night, I was angry. I couldn't believe that we were going through all of this again and I was mad. It was then that I wondered if this was a test from God. He knows I have trust issues. Was this a test to see if I could make it through this flood and trust that He was taking care of this baby? That just because our basement flooded again, it did not mean that life was going to repeat itself?
We had plans to go shopping for our crib early the next day because I had a really good coupon (yes, I am dutch!). I debated whether or not we should go with the recent flooding. I finally looked at J and told him to get ready to get up early because we were going, I was not going to let this take me down and ruin my exciting day of picking out a crib for my baby boy. And, that is exactly what we did, we let the water come in, we went to bed, got up early and bought our son a crib. I didn't like this test at all and I hoping that this was the only one we will endure, but I know better, this will be one of many. I just hope I pass those ones like I did this one!
This picture gives you a glimpse into how much water we got- this truck is driving in front of our house and the water was so high, it was over the sidewalk and was coming into our driveway....
And, this is the crib that we bought! We ordered it in white so it will take 6-10 weeks for it to come in, which is perfect because I wasn't sure if I was quite ready to have a crib in that room yet!

Mighty God help me understand that I have been called by You to walk by FAITH and not by sight. 2 Cor. 5:7




You were one of the first people I thought of after we had this rain! We were up north, but when I heard about the terrible storm and all the flooding, I remembered your story. I pray things feel ok and better as time goes by. When it rains, it pours and that seems true right now with the 23 week mark, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a strong person! I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing but it makes one completely crazy with anxiousness. Given your past....I am sure it is x10. I hope you can kick your feet up and not overdue it with all the water in your basement and enjoy that kicking healthy baby boy!
ReplyDeleteUgh, the timing of that might have send me over the edge. I'm so sorry! But well done at keeping your chin up :) And beautiful crib!
ReplyDelete