Friday, July 12, 2013

grandma

Last week we headed down with the boys to visit my parents in Indiana.   This is an annual trip that we look forward to since my parents have a pool and a boat and the boys just love being by mom mom and pop pop.  Unfortunately, we woke on Thursday to the news that Jason's grandmother had passed away.  She was 93 and fell on Wednesday and had a hip replacement surgery later that day.  Thursday morning her body started giving up and she peacefully said goodbye and she was gone within minutes.  It was a total surprise to everyone including the doctor who kept saying that he was just talking to her.  She was a wonderful woman who was living at home alone at the age of 93, gardening and walking every day.  She read the Bible every year and whenever you stopped by her house, it was open on her table.  Before we had kids, I would go visit her on Wednesday nights while J was golfing.  She would tell me stories of her childhood on the farm, teach me about faith, tell me what she was reading in her Bible, share her stamp collection with me or just walk around and show me all the amazing flowers in her garden.  She wasn't just a grandma through marriage, she was just like one of my own.  She had an amazing smile and a laugh that brightened any day.  My favorite thing she ever told me was advice on bringing up your child (she had 5 that she raised by herself at times since her hubby was in the Army).  "Krista, moms these days pay too much attention to their kids.  They pick them up, hold them every time they cry and just give them too much attention.  I used to put my kids in the playpen with a toy and leave them be for hours.  Every couple days I would switch out the toy so they wouldn't get bored."  I just about peed in my pants laughing when she told me this advice especially since she was totally serious.  I didn't really take that advice, but it suddenly give me a lot of insight into why my MIL never likes to leave her comfort zone of home!  The only comfort I get in her passing is knowing that Brooke and Alexcyn were right there to greet her in Heaven and on their 5th birthday next week, she will be celebrating right along side of them, showering them with kisses and sharing with them her beautiful smile.

This was the last picture I took of her and the boys when we went to visit her on Halloween.

 
Goodbye Grandma B- we love you so much and pray that you are taking good care of our babies in Heaven.

Before having the girls, I would have never imaged taking pictures at a funeral.  And, I will admit you get a lot of looks from people that don't understand and it is quite awkward snapping away in silence.  However, I treasure those pictures that my MIL so bravely took 5 years ago.  It is hard to explain, but I hold those pictures close to my heart so when she asked me to snap a few, I didn't even hesitate.


2 comments:

  1. i'm so sorry for your loss. and it is a wonderful thought to know that the twins are with her celebrating Jesus together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista...so sorry for the loss of your grandma. But like you said what a special meeting that took place in Heaven that day between your girls and her!

    ReplyDelete