Wednesday, January 2, 2013

12 to 13

The boys and I have been enjoying some down time at my parents house in IN for the last few days.  It has been wonderful to take some time to relax a bit and enjoy some quality time with the grandparents.  Jason joined us here for our exciting NYE celebration at home.  Ashton went to bed at 7 and Grant made it to 11 before he asked to go to sleep! I about passed out standing up at 12:30.  Our NYE celebrating has definitely changed over the years, but I wouldn't have it any other way!  Here is my annual summary of our year in pictures...

January

 Ashton got baptized


February

Grant's first time on skis!

March

 enjoying the unseasonably warm temps with hike through our property


April

  my two easter bunnies

 May

We packed up and moved out of our house... and YES, I did keep these meds.  They are resting comfortably in the drawer in our fridge until I can let go. 

  Tulip Time

 June

Swimming lessons for Grant 


 and my favorite pic of these two beautiful boys!


July

honored Brooke and Alexcyn on their 4th birthday


August
Annual trip to the cottage with J's family


September


Fabulous family trip to the zoo



October


Grant turns 3

Ashton turns 1


Our little dalmatians on Halloween

November

in everything we give thanks...


December
 It finally snowed!!!



 Ashton was a pro at opening presents this year


he must have learned from Grant! 



2012

2012 was definitely a year of change for us.  We sold our house of 10 years and moved into a family rental home.  Having our future be so up in the air is something I have to pray for daily because I am a planner that likes to have all my ducks in a row!

I still struggle with comparing myself to others- especially as I long for our dream home.  At this point, I unfortunately think this will always be something I struggle with.  If anyone has a devotional that they would recommend on this subject, please let me know!

I took a photography class in the fall.  It happened to be a really busy time in our lives so I don't feel that I got as much out of it as I should have, but I did learn a few basics.  I will however not be a professional photographer anytime soon, but at least I know what my camera is capable of when it is not on AUTO.

I finally got a chance to sing in a choir at church- something I had wanted to do for a long time.

I bought a sewing machine with some birthday money and made curtains for our house.  My goal for 2013 is to learn how to sew something other than a straight line.

We went to the zoo, the park, the farmers market every Wednesday morning, the splash pad, we played in the fallen leaves and had our first snowball fight last week.


2013

This year, my goal is to let go.  I need to let go of comparing myself to others because I know I will never be that super mom that sews her own clothes while also making delicious homemade organic meals in my spotlessly clean home decorated with all of my completed pinterest projects and  full of children who never whine and always say please and thank you without being told.  All while being showered by 6 am, hair done, make up on and never wearing anything but stylish clothes (aka not comfy pants and a sweat shirt!)

I need to let go of clutter in my life.  I am a huge pack rat so this one will be tough.  I have already started going through my clothes and getting rid of stuff from like 10 years ago that I was SURE I would wear again.

This year will be 5 years since our girls were born.  I am doing fine, but I know I still need to let go of all those what ifs.  I see little girls dressed up at Christmas and I think what if my girls were here.  I see pics of the daddy daughter dance and I think what if Jason could take Brooke and Alexcyn.  I hear stories of trips to the American Girl store and I think what if I could be there to see the look of utter amazement when they walk in those doors.

I will focus on letting go of the longing I have for the new mini van, the dream house and the perfect wardrobe and instead I will talk to Grant and Ashton about being grateful that we have a roof over our head, a car in our driveway and clothes on our bodies.

After all, letting go is what being a Christian is all about, right?  Sometimes I need reminders...

Ezekiel 36:25-27
"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart'"


I pray that you all had a safe and happy new year celebration and I hope you are all blessed with your hearts desires in 2013!

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to look back at 2012 and look ahead to 2013! I, too, struggle with constantly comparing myself to others and thinking I'm not as good as them. You are not alone. Maybe this year I will join you and work on letting go. Blessings to you and your family in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love yourself. Look at what you do for your children not what you aren't doing. You don't have to know how to knit or sew take something you are great at and do it with the kiddos. I'm a baker so we bake.

    You don't see what happens behind closed doors there are probably 10 women envious of you :)

    Once you embrace how amazing you are and that you are okay with not having the picture perfect life, life will fall into place. It's amazing I struggled with this last year and I let go of all of my issues and told myself I was happy for what we had not what we wanted and then everything started working out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for the encouragement Ashley! Glad to hear that you were successfull at letting go- hope I am too!

      Delete
  3. fun post. letting go. i'm sure it's something every single person on this planet needs to do if they were honest with themselves. i know i haven't been successful, especially with the wondering about my children and what things we are "missing" out on with them part. i don't know that i will ever be there, and honsetly, i don't know that i ever want to be there. it's like i have them with me when i dream those things up, it's part of my mourning that i allow myself.

    as for sewing a straight line, i can barely do that! ha, i got a sewing machine when i was pregnant with my first daughter. oh the plans i had. you will have to teach me if you learn! curtains! i'm so jealous of just that!

    and your camera does more things off "auto"!?!? :o)

    ReplyDelete