Friday, January 25, 2013

a really long post about our vaca in the Keys...

We just got back from a week in the Florida Keys.  It was a wonderful week full of family time, memories and some warm sunny days  As we sat on the playground on our last day, J and I discussed that gone are the days where we sleep in until 10 and then go lay in a chair for the rest of the day while sipping on tropical drinks and trying to get as tan as possible.  We have now entered the days where we argue who is going to wake up at 6:30 with Ashton and then spend hours at the playground, then hours in the pool no matter how warm it is outside and then spend hours in the condo for nap time and then repeat.  Even though vacations aren't exactly relaxing anymore and I come back with barely a tan, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Our first day started off in true J and K fashion.  We woke the boys up, threw their clothes on them, and fed them breakfast in the car as we headed to the airport.  As we were standing in line at the ticket counter, Ashton threw up all over himself and the stroller.  This was no spit up, it was full blown chunks of Nutri Grain bar with the horrible pukey smell (sorry if TMI).  Of course, at the same time, the lady at the counter was practically yelling at us to go directly to the gate because our plane was leaving an hour early!  Can they really do that???  We made it through security with just enough time to change his clothes and clean the stroller at the gate.  Suddenly, my anxiety of antsy Ashton screaming the whole time on the plane changed to Ashton puking the entire 3 hours!  We had been so careful to keep the boys quarantined and away from all the illness floating around our town and now I was freaking out that our son had the stomach flu.on a plane.  Needless to say, I sat with the vomit bag in my lap the entire flight!  About 20 mins into our flight, Ashton developed a fever.  He pretty much slept the rest of the way and never threw up- thank God!  So, he was pretty sick the fist few days.  Finally, he spiked a 102.8 temp on Friday and then woke up the next morning and was fine.

poor Ashton- you can see in his face that he just doesn't feel well....


Our week was spent at the playground, the pool, feeding the fish in the lagoon and mingling at extended family get togethers.  Grant was a fish in the pool, but it took Ashton a while to get used to it.  By the end of the trip however, he was attempting to back himself into the side of the pool just as I had feared.


Grant got these fun dolphin goggles for being such a big boy on the plane!

On Saturday, we had a get together with my family at my Pop Pop's house.  This included all of my aunts, uncles, cousins and my step-grandmothers grandchildren.  It was definitely chaotic with so many people, but it was great to catch up, especially since I hadn't seen some of them in at least 9 years.

First and last trip to Grand Pop Pop's house.

we discovered that Ashton gets his good looks from my Pop Pop- hopefully I can get his baby picture and show it to you.  Everyone kept calling him Little George at the service!

The next day we had the Celebration of Life service for Pop Pop at his club in Key Largo.  It was a beautiful setting overlooking the ocean.  They had bagpipers playing Amazing Grace and had a Military Honors Presentation with lowering of the flag and firing of the cannon.  My Pop Pop sang in a group called the Reef Rogues and they sang a few songs as well.  After that, everyone headed inside the clubhouse for a reception with lots of yummy hors d'oeuvres and an open bar.  It was great to meet many of my Pop Pop's long time friends and hear the legacy he left  and impact he had on their lives. I will admit that it was kind of bittersweet for me though because I only got to spend a couple weeks a year with Pop Pop so I never got to know him in the fashion that everyone fondly remembered of him. On our way to Adelaide's (pop pop's significant other) house, I told J that I wanted a ceremony like that when I pass away.  Just take out military and insert Christian service.  I just loved the way that his life was celebrated and remembered in such a positive way.  Tears were shed, but I didn't leave with a huge despair like I do a normal church service. 

Anglers Club Key Largo


Bagpipers played Amazing Grace to start the ceremony- definitely a tear jerker!

Such a beautiful setting to say goodbye...

After the reception we went to Adelaide's house.  This was definitely a house that made your jaw drop.  I didn't want to take too many pictures, but this one I snuck in.... this is the view from the living room of the infinity pool overlooking the ocean.  If only I was lucky enough to wake up to that view everyday!


On Monday we took the boys to Theater of the Sea for a fun excursion and to give my parents a little reprieve.  Grant loved the dolphin show and Ashton loved taking me on walks through all the mangroves.
It was the hottest day we were there so the boys cooled off with a dip (in their clothes!) in the lagoon.



Tuesday we spent the day relaxing at the condo and then had a wonderful dinner at Alabama Jacks with the extended family.  If you are ever in Key Largo, you must go there.  It is a dive bar right outside the toll plaza- best conch fritters ever!


this boy loved the tire swing!

being silly in the pool with daddy...


Wednesday we had to head back up north to an airport hotel so we could catch an early flight out on Thursday.  And just like that, our vacation was over.  We are sad to be back to freezing temps, but happy with all the memories we made together in Key Largo. 




  

3 comments:

  1. looks like a fantastic trip!! I want to go to the keys so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you and your boys had a fabulous time! There's nothing as precious as making memories with those you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete