Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A year ago today I woke up thinking it was just another day.  It was the busiest day of the week at work and I was tired and not really looking forward to the day ahead.  My feet were bloating up like balloons and it was hard to put shoes on so I slipped on my flips and headed out to work.  As the day progressed, I started feeling a tightness and swelling in my legs.  I figured it was just the joys of the last few weeks of pregnancy.   Luckily, I had a dr appt that evening so I planned on asking about the swelling just to make sure.

As the nurse checked my urine and took my blood pressure in silence, I knew something was up.  She asked me if I had ever had protein in my urine or high blood pressure before.... my heart started beating really fast as I quickly told her no.  This time around, I made myself fully aware of anything that could happen, so I knew that those two results signaled preeclampsia.  After what seemed like 30 minutes, my dr came into my room and told me to go home, grab my husband and my bags and go to the hospital for a 24 hour urine test.  I just stood there in complete shock.  I looked at her and made her repeat what she said 2 seconds before. My hands started shaking and my mind immediately went to the worst case scenario.  I was only 37 weeks pregnant and I was scared out of my mind.  I suddenly didn't even want to go home, I wanted to be admitted to the hosptial immediately!  Luckily, I live within a mile of my dr office and the hospital so I drove home, told J what was going on, made him snap this pic and then we were on our way within minutes!  We had no idea what was ahead for us, but we were scared and excited that we may finally meet our son!

As I look back on that night, I see a definite God moment.  I remember my 36 week dr appt.  I was trying to make an appt for the next week and my dr was really full.  I always made appts on Fridays because at that point in the year, I had them off.  She was booked, so I had to go on a Tuesday.  Unfortunately, the only appt she had open was an evening one.  I was not thrilled about it because Tuesday's were a tough day for me and I usually went home and took a nice long nap.  But when I think back to that day, that appt was so meant to be.  After 24 hours of testing, my levels were extremely high.  My dr woke me up Thursday morning and told me the results were not good.  The next words out of her mouth were....you are going to have a baby today!
After longing for a baby forever, God blessed us with a pregnancy.  He walked those difficult nine months with us and He guided us to the appt that would change our lives forever!  I love when I can look back and see moments where God has reached down and touched our lives!  Has he done that for any of you lately?

1 comment: