Friday, May 16, 2014

weekly ten

1.  Last week was Media week in my 7 Bible study.  That meant no facebook, no blogger, no instagram, limited email, texts, and internet.  And the biggest; no tv! The point was to get back to the importance of communicating face to face and paying attention to our family instead of our phones and the tv.   It was yet another eye opening experience for me as I discovered how often I turn to media during the day. As we are rounding the last few months of house building, there are so many decisions to be made and I realized that Pinterest has influenced most of those decisions.  It was hard to live without it for a week.  I  felt lonely not checking into my FB all the time. And I realized that I am so accustomed to getting online, that I totally forgot how to pick up the phone and call my friends!   Honestly though, I have been done for a few days now and still have not checked my Facebook page.  (they keep sending me emails reminding me to come back which I think is hilarious!)  That was the only positive that came out of it for me- I felt free of the comparison and competition that I have been feeling the last few years and I am pretty sure it is because I was comparing myself to everyone on FB that appeared to be living better lives than myself.  I hope to make it a month with no FB and then see if I feel like going back.  If I do, it will be very limited.

2.   This week we are focusing on waste.  I didn't think it would be hard since I already recycle, buy thrift and we even use bath water to water plants.  However, I did not realize how many lights I leave on after I leave the room- opps:)

3.  Best way ever to keep two boys completely still for 20 minutes.... put them in front of a garage where they are pouring cement!



4.  Grant and Ashton attended their first roller skating party.  It was hilarious!  They both loved it and cried to leave.  They both wore beginner skates that made it very easy to learn and stay upright.  Ashton couldn't quite get the rolling motion down so he chose to run in his instead. 


5.  We are busy with last minute house decisions that seem to zap up all my time as you can tell by my lack of posts lately.  We are so anxious to get into our house already but still have at least a month or two until it is done.  This whole process has reminded me that I am not a patient person at all.  I had to pull out some of my old devotions from my infertility days to remind myself how to be patient.

6.  I think Ashton is finally potty trained.  Of course by saying this, he will probably have an accident today just to prove me wrong!  It has been a long haul but I am so proud of my big boy- he has done amazing considering how crazy our lives have been lately.  And I am happy to move into a new house and not worry about potty accidents all over my new carpet.

7.  Our last day at library time until summer- shark week. 




9. Ashton is such an old soul that I occasionally forget he is only two years old.   Lately though he has made it hard to forget.  The Terrific Two's have definitely begun for us.  "I can do it myself" is a phrase heard every three minutes.  It takes us 20 minutes to drive out of the driveway because he has to climb in the car, close the door and buckle himself in all by himself.  Did I mention before that I have no patience???  He is also experiencing the frustration of twos- he is happy one second then pitching a tantrum on the floor the next second.  Despite all these frustrating moments, I really do love two year olds.  They find so much fun in everything they do and it is such a great reminder for me to stop and have some fun sometimes.

10.  Blessing of the week:  My Seven Bible Study really has been a great experience and has opened my eyes to the life I was living and the life I want to live and teach my boys to live.  I am so thankful for the ladies that are walking down this road with me and the experiences that we are sharing together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment